Image Map

Friday, March 05, 2010

How We Got Kids - Part 4

We planned for Anna. We literally said, 'Hey, let's try to get pregnant in the Spring.' I was envisioning a Christmas baby. Plus, we had always said 'if three, then four', meaning that we would prefer four children over three. It felt all funny to actually be trying to conceive.

And we were not let down. I suspected I was pregnant before I ever missed my cycle and sat on pins and needles waiting to be able to take a home pregnancy test. Those two little pink lines had me jumping up and down and trying to find my composure all at the same time.

I dashed up the steps, informed Joshua I needed to see him privately when he had a moment, then went to wait. He looked at the little stick, looked at me, and we hugged and got all giddy.

It was to be my biggest trial as a pregnant woman.

Everything went along just fine for the first seven and a half months. And then we went and had our five year anniversary. After a nasty bout with food poisoning, I was told to 'take it easy, stay off my feet, keep that baby in there a bit longer.'

The food poisoning had left me severely dehydrated and sent my body into a bit of pre-term labor. The OB informed me that I was now four centimeters dialated and about 60 percent effaced. With eight weeks left on the books to cook my babushka.

I was relegated to my favorite recliner with my laptop, the remote control, and some books for company. And my 'I am a professional bed rester' of a friend to boss me around. From near and far. She took an evil delight in this unusual event of our friendship, I tell you.

After a few weeks, the doctor released me and told me I could be done with that insanity. I was mildly amazed at how quickly my body had deteriorated and how easily I found myself exhausted.

Absolutely no one expected me to carry to term with this baby. I never have before (induced or natural, my kids don't seem to want all 40 weeks). My OB was amazed when I carried past Thanksgiving. And I was irritable.

I am not a good third trimester pregnant woman, just in case you ever wondered. I am done at about seven months. Get it out now, I am done.

Of course, you know, it's not supposed to work that way. So I wind up being grumpy for two months. It's all very charming, really. Just ask Joshua.

Finally, the OB said the Happy Word. Induce. Buddy, I said yes, can we do it tomorrow? She put me off a few days, but on December 1, 2008, I went to the hospital to have my darling baby girl.


Anna Joy was jaundiced. Surprise, surprise. She did her time in the Tiny Tanning Bed, and mercy, dawdled about getting the yellow out of her system. She finally got past it, though, and soon became a sweetly accepted part of our family.


She is ours and we are hers. I can't imagine what it was we did before she arrived on the scene. It's wonderful how the Lord knits us all together and makes families of us. And it is such a joy and a privilege to have Anna Joy as a part of our lives.

4 comments:

Heather M. said...

I have this same areal photo of both my boys on the evil, yet necessary "tanning bed." Gotta love our little yeller' babies! :)

Lora Lynn @ Vitafamiliae said...

I didn't enjoy it. I was miserable. I couldn't, for the life of me, MAKE YOU MIND.

But I'm glad you got that sweet baby out of all those mutterings.

FilledToTheBrim - Kate said...

Oh that "tanning bed" picture brings back memories! What a sweet little girl!

Song said...

Whoohoo! Four kids in five years? We're on the same track - just found out we're pregnant with our fourth due in November and we celebrate our 5 year anniversary in August. We love babies around here :)