Image Map

Tuesday, March 27, 2007

Decaffienated

Coffee does not rank high on my list of favorites. I am not fond of the smell. I am afraid to drink a beverage that people take 'black' or 'strong'. Plus, it smells bad to me. Then, there is that nasty residue it leaves inside a cup. Plus, it stinks. And my Mommy & Daddy told me it could stunt my growth, though I think this was just one of those things that parents tell their kids to deter them from desiring something. Oh, and the smell of coffee. Have I mentioned that?

Joshua is a coffee drinker. Several of my very dearest friends are not just coffee drinkers, but rather coffee connoisseurs. One even refers to herself as a coffee snob. Another once swore she would convert me to a coffee lover. That was six years ago. You see the stand point I am writing from. I did not cross over. Most of my family drinks coffee, the part I was born into as well as the part I married into. I am surrounded by coffee drinkers.

Then, there is this whole mess of cappuccinos, caffichillos, mochas, lattes, expressos, and the list goes on. I used to get tickled working at the pre-school. Upon occasion, the staff as a whole would need a coffee run. The stuff that came out of the coffee pot in the kitchen just didn't cut it. Often as not, I would find myself in possession of the coffee needs list and everyone's monies. Off to Atlanta Bread Company I would go, get up to the counter, and rattle off my list. Then came the questions from the cashier. Would you like ________? And I would stand there with this uncomprehending look on my face and say 'I don't know?' I inevitably messed up someone's order, and yet, within a week or so I would find myself in the same predicament.

Wanna know what that says to me? That all these drinks taste so much the same that no one knew the difference in what they ordered and what they drink. While I guess that is not true, it certainly seemed that way to me. The token non-coffee drinker.

Today, at 3:00 in the afternoon, I passed a Starbucks. (an establishment that manages to astound me with the amount of business they get) It was 85 degrees outside. Sunny, nice cooling breeze, but most assuredly not an afternoon that could be mistaken as chilly. And there were cars wrapped around the building. At 3 in the afternoon. On a considerably warm spring day. Probably ten or twelve cars.

I have it on good authority that Starbucks serves cold drinks too, but for the love, so does McDonalds, Sonic, Wendy's, and the corner gas station. All for less than the Starbucks premium. Or, so I would imagine. So what gives? Is it just the snifty, snooty, yuppie logo that these folks need on their cups? Or are they really ordering COFFEE in the middle of a summery day?

You are wondering why I am writing this post? I am too, frankly. I am sure there could be some spiritual point to be gleaned. Let me know if you figure it out.

3 comments:

Stacia said...

I'm so glad that there is someone else in the world who doesn't drink coffee either. There are too few of us.

The Bouldins said...

I am not a coffee drinker, either. I'm a hot chocolate kind of gal. And with a little Hershey's syrup, Reddi-Whip and my mom's hot chocolate recipe I think I can match anything Starbucks is selling for a much cheaper price.

However ... during the summer they have an iced chocolate drink ... sort of like a chocolate Icee ... and I haven't found a way to duplicate it. So I must confess that during the warmer months, my car might be one of those waiting in the drive thru line.

Anonymous said...

Well, alrighty then! I know of at least two others from Aubrey's lineage who aren't coffee addicts!
MiMi and Meemum!